Saturday, May 29, 2010

Greenwich Mean Time

Today I went for another adventure. Although this time, it was pretty much the opposite of a beautiful day. It was a gray cloud light rain day. I decided to go to Greenwich as it is something I wanted to do before I leave here. I went to an indoor market and then headed to the Royal Observatory.
At the Royal Observatory you can find many attractions. The most famous is the Prime Meridian line, the center of time.
So there I am in both the Western and Eastern Hemispheres at one time. The Time galleries were interesting. It all kind of makes sense now.
Another part of the Observatory is an Astronomy Exhibition. It includes London's only planetarium. I was going to go but it was sold out for the showing at the time I was there and didn't want to hang around for 2 hours. Although looking back, maybe I should have. The Royal Observatory is on the top of a hill. Some argue the highest point of London. You can see a good view of the city.
In this picture you can see the closest building. This is the Queen's House which just happened to close 5 minutes before I got there for some sort of event. There is also a wartime museum. By this time I was getting wet and cold so went in search of a Starbucks. Evidently everyone else in London had the same idea. It was a good end to the day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment